What can I say? I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I just moved to North Dakota, and along with getting my life back together and focusing on my career, I'm going to try to reconnect with friends from years past via the internet. Plus, you know, I like to talk about myself and stuff.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Knowledge is Power

As this week begins to end, I must reflect on the numerous things I've learned this week:

1. Credit card companies are dumb, but I'm dumber. For three weeks I've been getting calls from a restricted number that never leaves a message. After three weeks, this started to bother me and I became convinced that there was a crazy person out to get me. It turns out I'm an idiot who forgot to pay a bill on time. While they should have left a message, I probably should have answered the phone at some point and learned that I had nothing to fear but fear itself.

2. There is a word that is discreet, and there is a word that is discrete. There is a difference between these two. Discreet is the one I use most often, it's like when you're able to hide things well, or according to dictionary.com, it's "self-restraint." Discrete, on the other hand, means separate or disconnected. I actually like the meaning of this word and intend to use it. I just hope I don't mix up the spelling.

3. My second word of the week is really a Latin phrase which is "ipso facto." This means the fact in itself. It probably could be over-used easily but it is a good Latin phrase to be able to throw around.

4. My iPod kicks so much ass, and when I put it on shuffle, it really likes to play either "One" or "Pride (In the Name of Love)" by U2.

5. Meeting people on myspace.com isn't always bad. I talked with this girl via myspace. Tonight we actually met, and it turns out she's actually as cool as I hoped she'd be. I mean one good date doesn't mean it's fate but it was pretty nice to meet someone new in Dickinson and really relate to them. I also learned that I can have fun bowling and that pitchers are only $5 at the Paragon bowling alley. If I bring my own pitcher on Wednesdays they're only $2.50. Ah, sometimes the world is a beautiful place.

6. I can see why Great Grandad used to drink on election night. It is kind of stressful. But all in all, I survived and I am looking forward to covering the state races when it comes time in November.

7. Lastly, I learned that second degree burns hurt like a son-of-a-bitch and they don't look too pretty either.

Anyway, even though I have a semi-shorter day today, it's been a long week, so I am off to do a crossword puzzle, drink water and fantasize about what I'll do this weekend (instead of planning a personal budget, cleaning my house, getting groceries I can't afford and paying bills).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who burned you? Did you have it coming?

12:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home