What can I say? I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I just moved to North Dakota, and along with getting my life back together and focusing on my career, I'm going to try to reconnect with friends from years past via the internet. Plus, you know, I like to talk about myself and stuff.

Monday, November 14, 2005

A Soulmate (and finally the third music rant)

In my own special way, I am an unwed mother. I have two children, and you've seen pictures of them. I call them Dixie and Bunny (a minor improvement, I know). Tonight, I was getting ready to clean up their litter box, when I thought while I was in the basement, I may as well put my clothes in the dryer, so I did that first.

Bunny, ever the curious cat, started playing in the empty bag. And when he knew I was coming to use it, he panicked. He started to run, but his head was already in the bag. So by running all he did was put his little head through one of the bag loops. And then that freaked him out more. So then I started chasing him to get the bag off his head. So then he freaked out more. He ended up running around the house twice. In a weird sort of way, he looked like a super hero cat with a plastic bag cape. He ended up freezing on the way down the stairs and I was able to safely get the bag off of his head. By this time, I was laughing so hard and oblivious to where I was that I ended up hitting my head on the ceiling above the stairs. We're like a clumsy pair made in heaven. And we're pretty awkward looking too.

Anyway, my last music rant: Green Day.

I know what you're thinking. And you're right. American Idiot is an awesome album that has been played into the ground. A year later the music is still writing all the same shit they wrote last year after the album came out. We get it. It's a good album. I say all of this with a grain of salt, of course, because part of me realizes the impact that Green Day's album has had on today's youth (and okay, maybe some 24-year-old chicks, as well). But what I think is so f-ing amazing about the new album and its impact, is the fact that 10 years ago, Green Day did the same thing with Dookie.

Okay, so Dookie is a little childish and immature, but I was 10 years ago too. And well, really, I still am. Over the course of the years since Dookie's release, I still occasionally like to put the album on and rock out with my cock out. It's a damn good album to listen to when you're feeling like things are shit and will probably continue to be shit but you're not about to get up off the couch and do something about it. So you scream along with Green Day. Along with all that, in my more lucid moments, I also realize that in listening to that album at age 13, I exposed to some horribly cynical music and totally affected how I think about the world today. Part of me knows that I've grown up since then, but another part of me feels like I'll always be that 13-year-old listening to songs like "Longview" where I can't be bothered to do anything. And, you know, there was also Nirvana, with such happy songs as "Dumb."

Is it any wonder I'm absolutely insane these days? And do I maybe think a little too hard about all this?

And completely off the subject: I think I may have discovered how to add pictures. Now that I can do that, and I have pictures from over a year ago I've wanted to share, please expect a few blogs about really old pictures, and some of my experiences under water. Yay for sharing pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home