What can I say? I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I just moved to North Dakota, and along with getting my life back together and focusing on my career, I'm going to try to reconnect with friends from years past via the internet. Plus, you know, I like to talk about myself and stuff.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Nightswimming (A Brief Interlude)

So, yesterday. One of the girls I work with is big into sports, so every week she writes one feature story on an athlete in the region. Apparently, the state swim meet is coming up and Dickinson has a girl going (in 2 events, no less), so she got this idea that she wanted to try to take an action shot of the girl in the pool. She said the idea of her in a bathing suit is "gross" so she was looking for volunteers. Always up for a challenge and a reason to look ridiculous, I raised my hand and said, "I'll do it."

Then, as I'm changing into my swimsuit and heading out to the pool, I thanked the good lord that this girl I was photographing was in high school so she'd have no idea how absolutely under-qualified I was. And then, literally and figuratively, I jumped in the pool. We had an underwater camera and a flash, and we were going to try to get under the girl, and next to the girl and face-to-face with her. All of this meant I took 27 pictures in about 27 minutes.

I got water in my nose; I got kicked; I damn near head-butted the girl once; and I had to tread water more than I have since I was taking swimming lessons in third grade. And it was quite fun to have an entirely new (if awkward) experience.

Alas, the pictures did not turn out (damn you, one hour photo). Thankfully, I guess, it was due to the lighting situation and not the fact that I can't take pictures. And anyway, Cindy (the co-worker) and I are taking it as a learning experience to try again. Hooray for crazy but career-driven experimentation.

1 Comments:

Blogger that one guy you know said...

You should post the pictures anyway.

For posterity.



The internet's all about posterity.

8:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home